Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Psychology vs. Christianity: Intro

I've been debating as to write for my next post. And I have several good ideas, which I will most likely write about at another time. But my intellect has been stirred as of late on this topic: is psychology unbiblical?

This, I must admit, is a sensitive area for me. My father is an MFT (marriage/family therapist) and as of now, I am going to pursue a major in psychology (and English). I have long been fascinated with psychology, with studying the intricacy of the mind. And even more importantly, I love God. I love the Bible. The idea that these two things contradict each other is disturbing to me and something that I think demands scrutiny.

I hadn't even been aware that there was any sort of clash between psychology and Christianity until, perhaps, a year or so ago. I have seen it even more lately, as word gets around that I am planning to study psychology. The response to this information (among some Christians) is "Oh." And you know what I mean. The loaded "Oh."

But beyond the initial disgruntlement I have to this disapproval, I strongly desire to get to the bottom of this. I want, with all of my heart, to live in accordance with the Bible. I want to please God in whatever profession I pursue. When my life has been laid aside, I want to hear the words "Well done, good and faithful servant!" (Oh... to hear those words...) My purpose is not to prove that psychology is perfectly in line with the Bible. Or even to condemn psychology. My goal is to find the truth, to examine it in the most godly way possible, utilizing the highest standard of intellect and honesty. I pray that God will guide me through this. All truth, after all, is God's truth.

So, I plan to do a series on psychology and Christianity. It really is a huge topic, one that can't be covered in simply one post. I plan to break it down bit by bit, hopefully addressing one objection at a time. For the time being, I will be working through the objections of John MacArthur, pastor at Grace Community Church. (For those out there who are familiar with MacArthur may be laughing at my audacity, but I will press on.) It is a convenient place to start, since I have his objections in writing, in a couple of books. The book I will be starting with is "The Master's Perspective on Contemporary Issues" (general editor, Robert L. Thomas). The book is the second in a series and--as one might guess from the title-- it sets out to explain the viewpoint and general beliefs upon which the seminary holds to. (Side note: For those of you who are unfamiliar with Grace Community Church, Master's is the associated seminary on the church campus.) But before I even dive into the book, I will attempt to explain, basically what psychology is. Then we will move on into the "Master's Perspective."

For the few lonely people who might read this blog, if there is any constructive criticism, I would greatly appreciate it.

Until next time then! (See links below for further research into the people and books I've mentioned here.)

-Jamie



Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment